2009 – it’s not ALL a complete blur
Funny how you can find out a lot more about someone this way, and still know nothing about who they are. (Ooh, that’s deep.)
A friend blogged this quiz a year ago and i said (in her comments) that i’d do likewise. Well, i am doing likewise now. So i didn’t get to it when i could still remember 2008, so what? Here it is in memory of 2009.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Have someone (Ouroboros Review, issue 3) select my poems for publication! :0)
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions and will you make more for 2010?
Erm… can’t remember what they were a year ago… but i’m always resolving this or that. In twelve months’ time, i intend to be better organised. Come to think of it that was probably my resolution for 2009! – and for 2008… and for 2007… and for 2006…
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A friend i was at school with. Our correspondence is in a go-slow at the moment, but we’ve known each other since 1979 so that’s going back quite a long way. I thought she wouldn’t enjoy motherhood, but she had her second baby this year and so that is wonderful.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
This one. :0( Suffering severe wanderlust. (Reading Doctor Doolittle hasn’t helped that!)
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
My health back.
7. What dates(s) from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
8 December – Tall’s first gig for a paying audience
9 November – got the ok for an insulin pump FINALLY
22 July – definite diagnosis of fibromyalgia after years of thinking probably
13 January – the bust rib (see question 9 below)
8. What was your biggest achievement of 2009?
9. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yes, the usual – plus: a bust rib that slowed me up for the first half of the year, and a bust wrist for the second half and counting.
10. What was the best thing you bought?
Er… surely i bought something. Well, i’m still pleased with my eBayed shower caddy. I was SO sick of the wobbly, rusty old one.
11. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
All my menfolk, in various ways.
12. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Dare i say ditto?
13. Where did most of your money go?
14. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
By a combination of extraordinary kinds of chance i’ve got back in touch with not one, not two, but THREE old friends i never thought i’d hear from again.
15. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Most of what comes loudly through the ceiling while Tall is in the house.
16. Compared to this time last year, are you: Wiser? Healthier? Richer?
Wiser, definitely. (Couldn’t have been much LESS wise.) Healthier, definitely not. Neither richer nor poorer.
17. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Travel. Write. Read. Socialise. Blog. Sew. Paint. Sleep. But most of all, submit my work to editors.
18. What do you wish you’d done less of?
19. How did you spend Christmas?
Quietly. But the New Year won’t be (i’m time-travelling with this blogpost).
20. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Nah. Well, with Jo Walton and Bill Hussey (see question 24). Does that count?
21. What was your favorite blog post that you wrote?
Well, the world’s favourite was the golems one, but i particularly like the one about a story i wrote when i was about fourteen.
22. What were your favorite TV programs?
The Devil’s Whore, good ol’ Poirot, Doctor Who of course, Murder She Wrote (and not ashamed of it), Outnumbered – and i discovered Gavin & Stacey and am hooked. Not that i watch enough tv to know my favourite programmes, of course.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t do hate. Sorry if that sounds prissy.
24. What was the best book you read?
Honestly, i think ‘Through a Glass, Darkly’ by Bill Hussey. If i could find the notes i made, i’d do a review for you. Correction: when i find the notes i made, i shall do a review for you. ‘The King’s Peace’ by Jo Walton is a very – VERY – close second.
26. What did you want and get?
A red mock-leather cover for my iLiad.
27. What did you want and not get?
A really good holiday. Well, a real holiday.
… Well, a holiday.
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
How am i supposed to know that? ‘Stardust’ was (a surprise) very good. Its a 2007 film but i saw it this year. Or last year. Who can be sure? Told you i don’t watch much.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I became the answer to life, the universe, and everything, and i can’t remember what i did on the day. Nothing memorable, evidently.
30. Which celebrity/public figure did you like most?
Heaven knows. These are silly questions.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Ha ha ha ha ha…
Bright colours and COMFY.
32. What kept you sane?
Believe it or not, the internet.
33. Who did you miss?
A friend who has got mixed up.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Needing help is not weakness.
35. What did you gain in 2009?
Perspective. Some, anyway.
36. What did you lose in 2009?
Illusions. Some, anyway.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Mundane, but my rheumatologist.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
You have to learn to pace yourself * Pressure * Don’t ask for help / You’re all alone * Pressure *
And now, over to you. Do this quiz, blog your answers, and let me know so i can come and learn all about you too. Or just do part of it, just the odd question here and there, if thirty-eight is too many. (Is too many? Are too many? I may give up grammar for 2010.) Go on. You know you want to.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! :0)